GETTING OFF TO A GOOD START
As you begin the journey of 2021 this week, no doubt a great first step is to commit to daily Bible reading. King David’s words are timely here: “Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path” (Psalm 119:105). The decisions and dilemmas ahead of you in the next 365 days need not detour you as long as long as Scripture is your guide.
To help you get off to a good start, we’ve developed one idea and curated two others that will guide you through the Scriptures daily and systematically.
- FFC’s Family Weekly Bible Reading. On Sunday afternoons in 2021, each FFCer will receive an email which will include a devotional, as well as daily Bible readings to utilize for that week.
- TGC’s 1-year Bible Reading Plan. We’ll be making TGC’s plan available as a hard copy which you can pick up at Connect Center. Or you can download a copy here.
- YouVersion Bible Reading App. Download the Bible App by YouVersion and pick one of their many Bible Reading Plans. They have various plans, from reading through the Gospels to reading through the Bible in chronological order.
Before you hit the delete button, thinking 1) “I’ve heard this a thousand times before” and 2) “at least among believers, this is the second most common new year’s resolution (probably only behind losing weight) and nothing really new,” stop and ask yourself some probing questions:
- Did I faithfully read the Bible last year?
- What changes would I experience if I increased my intake of God’s Word?
- Do I really understand the overall flow and metanarrative of Scripture?
- Have I ever really read the Bible all the way through?
- Am I being proactive in helping my spouse/children get the most out of the Bible?
- Am I really content with my current level of Bible reading and Scriptural meditation?
My guess is that, after pondering those questions, most, if not all of us, would admit we could benefit from an increase in our intake of the Bible. I know I could!
So instead of skipping the remainder of this email and ignoring the exhortation, act! Take the first step and visit the sites, download the app, or make a note to pick up a hard copy at Connect Center. Then voice your intention to someone close to you; this will help provide some accountability. Finally, start today. Get off to a good start and begin reading. Whether it’s through one of these plans or another trusted one, make today the first day of your 2021 journey through the Bible.
Ready? Set? Read!