Family Devotional Guide – January 3
As Pastor Todd said, there is one habit that will create spiritual growth the fastest if done consistently. That habit is reading your Bible every day. As we start a new year, we desire that everyone who calls FFC their home church would strive to read their Bible more in 2021 than they did in 2020. Below are 4 steps to do to make Bible reading a staple of your life.
- Pick a Plan. It is doubtful you will read your Bible every day without a plan. Here are 3 plans we recommend using this year.
- Sermon Based Recommended Readings- Each week we will be giving you and your family 5 recommeneded texts to read Monday-Friday. These passages will relate to our sermons on Sunday. Read them by yourself or read them together as a family. Do what ever serves you best.
- Read through the Bible in a Year- One strategy that has helped me tremendously through the years is to set a goal of reading through the Bible in a year. If you set aside 15 minutes a day to read your Bible, you can read the whole thing in one year. Try it! One we recommend is- https://media.thegospelcoalition.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/01/09151141/RtB_Reading-Plan_2020.pdf.
- YouVersion- Download the Bible App by YouVersion and pick one of their many Bible Reading Plans. They have various plans, from reading through the Gospels to reading through the Bible in chronological order. Check it out!
- Pick a time and place- If something is to become a habit, it needs to be something you do the same time every day and most likely in the same place. I brush my teeth every day at the same time in the same place. I never forget. Why? Because of when and where I do it. It is routine. The same should be true of time with God; make it a necessary part of your day, and you will never forget.
- Pick a Bible- Like you pick a toothbrush, pick a Bible. This makes reading your Bible every day easier if you know where your Bible is when you want to read it. Here are a few we recommend.
- ESV Study Bible- An excellent study Bible everyone should have.
- CSB She Reads Truth Bible- A beautiful and detailed study Bible designed specifically for women.
- Any NIV Bible- NIV is a very readable translation of the Bible. A great version to read without needing a dictionary next to your Bible.
- The Jesus Storybook Bible- If you have small kids, this is a great place to learn to know the Bible and love the Bible. My family has read through this dozens of times.
- Pick someone to hold you accountable- We are better together. Pick someone who will ask you if you are reading your Bible. If you know you will be asked, you are more likely to read it. If you are going to be reading together as a family, hold each other accountable. Don’t let each other forget!
Monday- John 1:1-8
Tuesday- John 1:9-18
Wednesday- John 1:19-28
Thursday- John 1:29-42
Friday- John 1:43-51
Saturday- Make Up Reading Day