The Most Rewarding Resolution
With Christmas officially in the rearview mirror, many are already looking ahead to 2022. Resolutions, plans, goals, and dreams will occupy much space in our minds and conversations.
Here’s the most rewarding one you’ll for sure want to remember: commit to regular Bible reading. While there are numerous places in Scripture where the importance of this habit is highlighted, King David’s words are timely here: “Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path” (Psalm 119:105). The decisions and dilemmas ahead of you in the next 365 days need not detour you as long as Scripture is your guide.
To help you get off to a good start, here are two plans that will guide you through the Scriptures daily and systematically.
- TGC’s 1-year Bible Reading Plan. We’ll be making TGC’s plan available as a hard copy which you can pick up at Connect Center throughout January. Or you can download a copy here. NOTE: The link says 2020, but this is a plan that is unaffected by the year.
- YouVersion Bible Reading App. Download the Bible App by YouVersion and pick one of their many Bible Reading Plans. They have various plans, from reading through the Gospels to reading through the Bible in chronological order.
Before you hit the delete button, thinking 1) “I’ve heard this a thousand times before” and 2) “at least among believers, this is the second most common new year’s resolution (probably only behind losing weight) and nothing really new,” stop and ask yourself some probing questions:
- Did I faithfully read the Bible last year?
- What changes would I experience if I increased my intake of God’s Word?
- Do I really understand the overall flow and metanarrative of Scripture?
- Have I ever really read the Bible all the way through?
- Am I being proactive in helping my spouse/children get the most out of the Bible?
- Am I really content with my current level of Bible reading and Scriptural meditation?
My guess is that, after pondering those questions, most, if not all of us, would admit we could benefit from an increase in our intake of the Bible. I know I could!
So instead of skipping the remainder of this email and ignoring the exhortation, act! Take the first step and visit the site, download the app, or make a note to pick up a hard copy at Connect Center. Then voice your intention to someone close to you; this will help provide some accountability. Finally, start today. Get off to a good start and begin reading. Whether it’s through one of these plans or another trusted one, make today the first day of your 2022 journey through the Bible.
Ready? Set? Read!